Friday, October 29, 2010

Dusting off the Eldar: Going Dark

Having had a chance to go over most of the stuff in the upcoming Codex: Dark Eldar, I am thinking I'll be able to break out my Eldar and get them to work with the new codex. I'm gonna throw some ideas around for counts-as and start working on the conversions for the missing pieces soon.

My Eldar army is pure Ulthwé, with the heavy focus on seer councils. Support from Black Guardians and a small splash of aspect warriors makes the list super-fluffy while still being really good, at least when we look at the options we have available in Dark Eldar. Try doing that with the Eldar codex and your grand total of 7 units will get blasted off the table in no time.

Here is the list I am looking at starting with. It's really straightforward, and probably on the weaker side of what can be done with Dark Eldar. Testing with this list will give me a really good idea about the core units of the force though, and I can branch out from there. I will explain the conversions & counts as after the list.

HQ:

125     Archon
- Agonizer
- Blaster
- Shadowfield

125     Archon
- Agonizer
- Blaster
- Shadowfield

Elites:

173     Trueborn
- 4 Trueborn
- 4 Blasters
- Venom
- Splinter Cannon

173     Trueborn
- 4 Trueborn
- 4 Blasters
- Venom
- Splinter Cannon

Troops:

195     Warriors
- 10 Warriors
- Blaster
- Splinter Cannon
- Raider
- Flickerfield
- Splinter Rack

195     Warriors
- 10 Warriors
- Blaster
- Splinter Cannon
- Raider
- Flickerfield
- Splinter Rack

125     Warriors
- 5 Warriors
- Blaster
- Venom
- Splinter Cannon

125     Warriors
- 5 Warriors
- Blaster
- Venom
- Splinter Cannon

190     Wyches
- 8 Wyches
- 1 Hekatrix
- Agonizer
- Raider
- Flickerfield

190     Wyches
- 8 Wyches
- 1 Hekatrix
- Agonizer
- Raider
- Flickerfield

Heavy Support:

115     Ravager
- Flickerfield

115     Ravager
- Flickerfield

115     Ravager
- Flickerfield

Total: 1961

As you can see, I have a few points left over to fill out the list. I'm looking very much at putting Nightshields on all 3 Ravagers and calling it a day. That'll let them sit in the back and be a bit more protected against incomming firepower. These 3 models are likely going to be the brunt of my anti-tank shooting, so it could be a sound investment.

The Archons will group up with the Wyches to give them much greater killing power.

My other option for the points is to upgrade a model in each of the 5-man Warrior units to a champ. I can then take the blasters off of the Archons and put them on said champs to focus my anti-tank some more. I think both options are valid, as I like having that extra punch on the high BS platform for when I'm ready to pounce on a deadly unit.

Taking the list in, here is how it will translate to Ulthwe, with the appropriate counts-as:

Archon -> Autarch
I have a pair of Prince Yriel models that would actually work pretty well with his craftworld iconography removed

Trueborn with Blasters -> Fire Dragons
The swap from Blaster to Fusion Gun is a pretty easy switch, and thinking of the Trueborn as Aspect Warriors makes them feel appropriately elite. I could easily run Dire Avengers to fill out a Trueborn unit with Splinter Carbines

Warriors -> Black Guardians
Guardians with better ballistic skill was the Ulthwé thing a few editions back. This brings them back out to fight. Storm Guardians with Fusion Guns once again count as Blasters. Fore the Splinter Cannon I am looking at using the new Heavy Weapon Platform model with a Shuriken Cannon. I like having the gunner on the platform rather than standing next to it as with the normal guardians.

Wyches -> Seer Council
The current Seer Council is one of the best tie-up units in the game. While Wyches aren't quite that good (since they don't get Fortune), they are pretty much right on par when they get Feel No Pain (at least against normal attacks). Singing Spears will count as Wych Weapons, and I'll keep things simple by running the same Wych Weapon for each one. Since this unit is for tying up, it will probably be the Shardnet & Impaler if I ever run those.

Farseers will run the role of Hekatrix, with their psychic prowess making their combat skills a bit more deadly. Normal Farseers don't get Force Weapons, but I think that will change in the next codex. An Agonizer is an appropriate substitute, letting the Farseers tackle tough enemies with little problem.

Ravagers -> Fire Prism/Night Spinner
The standard guns on the new kit don't really make much sense, so I'm pulling in a conversion here. My Prisms are magnetized so I can swap to a Night Spinner freely, so I've simply made new magnetized bright lances for the top turret, and another magnetized bright lance for the chin turret, making these things really look the part very well. I have some slight green stuffing to do on the chin turrets, and I'll post some pictures once the models are primed, which should be this weekend.

Raiders -> Wave Serpents
The standard Wave Serpent with Twin-Linked Bright Lance should count as a raider pretty easily. I will simply remove the chin cannon and be good to go.

Venom-> Vyper
This is also pretty simple. Running two Shuriken Cannons should easily count for two Splinter Cannons. I'm debating whether I should add something to represent the transport capacity. It'll probably be something like a net or handles. The units flying in these will just have to hold on for dear life!

That pretty much covers the idea I'm running. let me know what you all think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...