Monday, September 20, 2010

Kicking Puppies: Starting Over


So, I’m a horrible blogger for leaving everyone in limbo for so long. I had all these grand ideas and managed to not get very many of them off the ground. I have been doing a good bit of modeling, playing some games, and visiting other blogs, but I haven’t left time for posting here.

I’m gonna make a stronger effort to catch back up. For now I only want to guarantee one post a week. I want to do more, but I will keep myself up to that minimum.

After coming down from that tournament in June I kind of jumped away from Dark Angels and looked at Fantasy. I’m still going to be working on that army, but it’s going to be a long time in the making. Most of my close friends don’t play it, and I enjoy the mechanics of 40k a little more.

Over the past few weeks I have been working with Space Wolves, and I’ve got enough games under my belt to really like how the units are working. I’ve worked up something based on what Chumbalaya ran at the NOVA Open. Details after the jump.


So, when I was looking at Chumbalaya’s original list, I saw some really cool things going on. His game against Stelek at NOVA showed how the list works and I really like it. It’s a great break from all the mech.

My original incarnation included Bjorn for better chances at controlling first turn, deep strike deterrent, and objective shenanigans. He was OK in the list, but after a few games I swapped him out for some rune priests and PAWGs with power weapons.

Here is the list after modification:

HQ:
275 - Logan Grimnar
100 - Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning & Tempest’s Wrath
110 - Rune Priest with Living Lightning & Fury of the Wolf Spirits, Chooser of the Slain

Elites:
85 – Lone Wolf in TDA w/ Chainfist & Storm Shield
85 – Lone Wolf in TDA w/ Chainfist & Storm Shield

Troops:
155 – 10 Grey Hunters w/ 2 Meltaguns
155 – 10 Grey Hunters w/ 2 Meltaguns
183 – 6 Wolf Guard w/ 1 Power Weapon, 2 Combi-Melta, 2 Bolter, and 1 TDA with Powerfist & Cyclone
183 – 6 Wolf Guard w/ 1 Power Weapon, 2 Combi-Melta, 2 Bolter, and 1 TDA with Powerfist & Cyclone

Fast Attack:
105 – TWC w/ Powerfist & Storm Shield
105 – TWC w/ Powerfist & Storm Shield

Heavy Support:
170 – 6 Long Fangs w/ 2 Lascannons & 3 Missile Launchers
170 – 6 Long Fangs w/ 2 Lascannons & 3 Missile Launchers
115 – 5 Long Fangs w/ 4 Missile Launchers

Total: 1996

Main setup goes something like this:

- Chooser deploys to hinder infiltration.
- Logan deploys with a 6-man long fangs squad to give relentless/tank hunters as needed.
- One GH squad deploys back on an objective with stationary long fangs providing fire support.
- Add cheap Rune Priest and PAWG with Power Weapon to the above GH squad.
- Second GH squad deploys more forward, behind a screen of TWC and Lone Wolves.
- Add expensive rune priest and other PAWG w/ power weapon to second GH squad.
- Wolf Guard deploy for fire/assault support

Refused Flank is generally decent with these guys, but I won’t get too much into various deployment strategies here. Mainly, objectives need to be places so that not as much walking is necessary and you can cover multiple objectives with a single GH unit. What this setup does is gives every unit except for the Lone Wolves and TWC a long-range attack capable of busting up transports. 5 of those units can fire said weapons on the move.

There’s enough CC potential to deal with most things, especially after they’ve taken some firepower. Deployed properly, the entire army has cover (except the models with 3+ invulnerable saves). I have 14 missiles, 4 lascannons, and 2 living lightning to throw out on the first turn to pop transports, quickly. I have 4 meltaguns and 4 combi-meltas for when things get close (or to run up for mass LR lists) and the elite assault units can crush vehicles in close combat if necessary.

I’m still learning the list, but I’ve come a long way with it over the past several games. I can see why Chumbalaya did well with it at NOVA. What are the thoughts to my modifications in ye olde blogosphere?

1 comment:

  1. Don't sweat your posting schedule. Go at your own pace, it's not like we're going anywhere :P

    I like this set up. It trades off the sheer firepower for melta, bodies, and I think a better means to deal with heavier armor. Get some batreps up and show your work :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...