Monday, May 10, 2010

'Ard Boyz: Updating the list

Having had a chance to go over the new missions being used in the 'Ard Boyz event this coming weekend, I have made some changes to the list I was going to run. I am still going in with my Dark Angels; I don't have the wysiwyg models to run a viable BA or SW list, and I'm way underpracticed with Eldar.

I feel mission 3 wouldn't have hurt my list as much as I initially thought. My biggest issue is going to be the big victory in game 1. I feel my more durable scoring units in this list will help out, though it will still be fighting uphill. I will need to be very careful with the placement of objectives and really drive it home with proper multi-assaults from 22 terminators.

updated TH/SS terminators will be the bane of my existence for the day. Everything else will be manageable to some degree. Anyway, here's the list I'm going to run. I'm not gonna bore you with the fancy names on the squads today; I'm still in the process of getting some of the models ready (as I need to prepare some new magnetized arms for a couple of terminators)

HQ:

130 Belial
- Lightning Claws

145 Interrogator Chaplain
- Terminator Armor

Elite:

150 Dreadnought
- Plasma Cannon
- Heavy Flamer
- Venerable

155 Dreadnought
- Twin-Linked Lascannon
- Missile Launcher

155 Dreadnought
- Twin-Linked Lascannon
- Missile Launcher

Troops:

280 Deathwing Command Squad
- Apothecary with Heavy Flamer
- Standard Bearer with Hammer/Shield
- 1 Chainfist

240 Deathwing Terminator Squad
- Cyclone Missile Launcher
- 1 Chainfist
- 1 Hammer/Shield

240 Deathwing Terminator Squad
- Cyclone Missile Launcher
- 1 Chainfist
- 1 Hammer/Shield

250 Deathwing Terminator Squad
- Assault Cannon
- 1 Chainfist
- 1 Hammer/Shield

Heavy Support:

255 Land Raider Crusader
- Extra Storm Bolter

250 Land Raider

250 Land Raider

The list is only giving up 20 kill points, is easy to keep consolidated, requires the opponent to crack open a decent amount of armor to deal with troops, and is fairly durable even after cracked. I think this should allow me a good chance at hitting all the objectives, though I think game 1 will be my hardest. We'll definitely be using the dreads to provide cover for the land raiders to start if first-turn problems are expected.

I'm definitely not afraid to reserve the whole force and will likely use that against my opponents in a couple matches where necessary. It's mobile enough to get where it needs to, and the list has enough long-range firepower to be effective the moment it hits the table.

2 comments:

  1. So, 3 squads load up in Raiders and go smashy? Or is everything but the doom squad on foot and shooting all game?

    I wouldn't want to face 3 Land Raiders with my army, so I'd hope you get good draw against lists not tailored to beat it. For such a large point level, it feels like you don't have a lot of firepower. I think I'd go for cyclones over assault cannons personally, that way you can fit in another TLLC/ML Dread and give yourself extra armor on the Crusader. That'll be a lot of fire at long range, which should be plenty good for messing up mech or MCs. Plus, you've got anti-infantry dakka in spades just from all the blasts and bolters you're bringing.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cyclone squads (there are already 2) will go in the land raiders and the command squad will go in the crusader, at least for deployment. the assault cannon squad will deep strike. The army will play differently depending on what the opponent has, but the goal is to play as aggressively as possible without making my army weaker.

    The plan is to support the crusader squad so that they don't get hit by something they can't handle. Pretty much anything that isn't an updated TH/SS squad or mass high initiative power weapons will be crushed by them in a single turn.

    I had considered a 3rd TLLC/ML dread, but my 3rd dread is actually a ForgeWorld model, so I'm already using all the TLLC/ML arms I have. I think the plasma cannon is a decent (but not great) deterrent for deep strikes. It's possible I can borrow a friend's dread. If that's the case I don't know if I'd want extra storm bolters on the land raiders (for more survivability) or a combi-melta on the chaplain with the extra points.

    Also, Dark Angels land raiders have the old POTMS rule, which allows them to move forward up to 12 inches even when stunned, so with proper planning extra armor isn't needed as much.

    Combine that with the old smoke rules, and you can make the land raiders invulnerable for a turn thanks to their myriad of weaponry to stave off lots of glancing hits.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...